Getting to Bruny Island
( Click this Google Map Link for many helpful pre marked locations - remember you may not have phone reception on some places on Bruny Island)
Bruny Island is situated off the south-east coast of Tasmania, Australia, about 40 km (45 minutes drive) south of Hobart. The island is separated from the Tasmanian mainland by the D’Entrecasteaux Channel and accessed by a vehicular ferry (two during peak periods). These depart from Kettering and operate at regular intervals throughout the day. For up-to-date information, please see the Bruny Island Sealink Ferry website. The ferry crossing takes approximately 15 minutes, during which time passengers may get out of their vehicles and admire the views and possibly seabirds, seals and dolphins. There is a small bathroom on board.
There is no need to book , in fact bookings cannot be made at present, you just need to arrive at the ferry terminal about 20 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time and buy your ticket at the ticket booth at the entry point. ( They accept both cash and cards )
During busy times (e.g. Christmas, Easter and other public holidays) the ferry may break its schedule and offer a shuttle service between ferry terminals to cope with the increased traffic. During these periods you may experience longer waiting times.
The ferry fare is currently $38 - $48 ( varies depending on peak/off peak times ) for a standard vehicle under 6m length and is valid for the return trip. They will take the fee on the way over and there is no need to show your ticket on the return journey for which there is no time restriction (they figure you will be coming back at some stage)
Driving on Bruny Island
On Bruny Island, guests may drive their own vehicle or a hire vehicle (provided it is approved for travel on gravel roads, ask your hire car company if you are unsure).
Inala is situated approximately 45 minutes drive (and 47 km) from the Bruny ferry terminal at Robert's Point (For the entire journey from Hobart City to Inala you should budget about 2 hours).
Directions to Inala ( 320 Cloudy Bay Road ) from the Bruny Island Ferry
- After disembarking from the ferry, continue straight ahead, down the main road, until you reach a T-junction at the township of Lunawanna (about 40 mins drive and 43 kms from the ferry terminal).
- [On the way you will pass a turnoff on the left to Adventure Bay (after you cross the Neck) – do not take this turnoff; and then you will pass through the township of Alonnah. This is the main administrative centre on Bruny Island, should you need anything.]
- Turn left at the Lunawanna T-junction into the Cloudy Bay Road and drive 3.2kms until you reach a large INALA sign on the right-hand side of the road, at the entrance to the property.
- Turn into the driveway, and park in the car park outside the office located on the left-hand side of the driveway about 20 m from the property entrance. This is visible from the road.
- Please do stop at the office to let us know you have arrived
NOTE: If you decide to visit Adventure Bay before making your to Inala, your GPS may direct you as you depart Adventure Bay to come over Mt Mangana, be aware the road is unpaved, narrow, steep in places and can be very rough and full of pot holes. It is not advised that a standard hire car is taken over this route.
Bruny Island tours with no accommodation component
Park your vehicle in the car park outside the office. Your guide will meet you here at the pre-arranged starting time of your tour. You can safely leave your vehicle here and transfer across to the Inala tour vehicle to start your tour.
Collection and delivery to and from Hobart metropolitan area/Hobart airport is also available-please contact us for further details and costs of transfers.
We will send you a personal email once you have booked with specific instructions to reach and access your accommodation.